Saturday, December 14, 2013

The AMB Ovation Award

 Tonight is a very special night for me. Tonight is the night I went from being a published author, to being an 'award winning' novelist. I know, it's just a play on words, but just saying it rocks.

I am the recipient of the first AMB Ovation Award for Best Debut Author in LBGT Literature.

When I got the email in August, I thought -- "I probably won't win, but this is nice". I put out a little 'guess what' post on facebook, then didn't think too much more about it. Even in my thank you letter, I made it clear that being nominated was the big thing for me. And it was. Until I woke up today.

From the moment the sun came up, The Angie was all I could think about. I know what you're saying. "What a dork." But that's how it's been all day. I've ignored the laundry and my dog's dinner was even late. You'd think I was too old to get excited over such things, but damn if I wasn't wired.

To make matters worse, earlier this afternoon, a countdown clock popped up on Angeline Bishop's website. As if I wasn't stressing out enough as it was.

 I finally told my family this evening. Yeah. They weren't happy with me. Lots of dirty looks and smacks to my arm for keeping such important news to myself. By the way, my mom still has a killer backhand. I didn't tell them exactly when the winners would be announced, just that it would be tonight. What can I say? I was getting a little worked up. I wanted to get past the 'damn, I didn't win' stage before telling them.

Go figure. I won. There was my book on the screen, my name being read. I think I actually stopped breathing for a minute. That had to be one of the best moments of my life. Definitely the best in my career so far. If one of my novels ever makes it to the New York Times Best Sellers list; it won't be as climactic as tonight has been. Too bad, New York Times. You guys are just too slow.

I was nominated by P. Richardson from West Chester Pennsylvania. I wish I knew who P. Richardson was so I could thank him/her personally. All the stress I went through to get Falling in Love with Crazy published was so worth it.

And it never would have happened if my sister, Qwillia Rain, hadn't pushed me so hard to submit it. She can be so bossy sometimes. I was also lucky to get the best editor in the world, Venessa Guinta. Oh man, did she tear up FiLwC on the first round of edits. It was a much needed butchering, and she was so nice about it. If it weren't for her, there would be 'Kill Ryuu' groups popping up everywhere. Poor guy. And lets not forget Valerie Tibbs and her fabulous cover art. She got Daniel and Ryuu perfect from the start.

Well, son #2 has promised me dinner wherever I want to celebrate. I can't keep the family waiting.

If you'd like to hear who won in all the other categories, I've posted Angeline Bishop's website below.

Until next time
Dane~

http://www.angelinembishop.com/the-angie.html

No comments:

Post a Comment